InterManager Daily News 22.10.2021.

1. RightShip: IMO mandate may be too slow to reduce global supply chain emissions

RightShip, the world’s biggest third party maritime due diligence organisation and safety experts, has argued that the IMO’s Energy Efficiency Existing Ship Index (EEXI) and Carbon Intensity Indicator (CII) to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions slated for 2023 may be too slow to enforce change by only factoring in operational considerations, missing out on the crucial emissions reduction capabilities of the Energy Efficiency Design Index (EEDI).

2. Cyprus Marine Club interview with the CEO of Safebulkers Shipmanagement Polys Hajioannou

On 19th October 2021, Cyprus Marine Club organized its 3rd Annual Interview with Key Shipping Figures in Cyprus, at Gazebo (ex Marina Beach Bar), Limassol. This time, CMC had the honor to host the CEO and Chairman of the Board of Safe Bulkers, Inc., a company incorporated in 2008. Safe Bulkers is a global company providing worldwide seaborne transportation in the dry bulk sector operating from Cyprus, Greece, Monaco and Switzerland.

3. 10th Shell tanker joins Signal Maritime pool

Signal Marine, the Signal Group’s shipping arm, has taken commercial management of MT Silver London, its 10th Shell medium-range (MR) tanker, increasing the pool’s fleet size to 15. The partnership allows Shell to benefit from Signal’s seven year investment in the development of digital technology that underpins a highly effective system for chartering vessels.

4. Baltic Exchange appoints Strategic Carbon Lead

The Baltic Exchange has appointed former RightShip Chief Executive, Martin Crawford-Brunt as a Strategic Carbon Lead. The Baltic Exchange recently introduced carbon assessments alongside its spot dry bulk charter rate assessments and is expanding its role to support market mechanisms aimed at reducing CO2 emissions from the shipping sector.

5. Armed robbery incidents proliferate along the Singapore Strait

Armed robbery incidents are proliferating along the Singapore Strait, one of the world’s busiest waterways. The Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia Information Sharing Centre (ReCAAP ISC) has warned ship operators that six cases have been recorded already this month onboard ships while underway in the eastbound lane of the Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS) in the strait.

6. Mermaid Maritime awarded $120m worth of new contracts

Singapore-listed Mermaid Maritime, a subsidiary of Thoresen Thai Agencies (TTA), has secured multiple contracts in Thailand, Angola and Saudi Arabia worth around $120m. The awards consist of subsea construction, IRM, subsea wellhead cutting and removal in Thailand and survey in Angola as well as multiple cable lay scopes and saturation diving interventions with long-standing clients in Saudi Arabia.

7. Wärtsilä to Retrofit Ethylene Tanker with Pilot Carbon Capture and Storage System

Finnish technology group Wärtsilä will be working with a Norwegian shipping company to install a full-scale carbon capture and storage system on board one of the company’s existing ethylene tankers. Wärtsilä Exhaust Treatment has signed a Letter of Intent with Solvang ASA to design and retrofit the 2019-built Clipper Eos with a pilot CCS system by 2023.

8. Why the Jones Act Is Still Needed Today

The Jones Act is a source of significant controversy. Some believe it has outlived its purpose. Others see it as necessary for the protection of American mariners and our country as a whole. What does the Jones Act do, and why is it still needed today? Let’s take a look.

9. Baltic Index Snaps 8-Day Losing Streak On Stronger Vessel Demand

The Baltic Exchange’s dry bulk sea freight index gained on Wednesday, after falling for eight straight sessions, supported by higher rates across all vessel segments. The overall index, which factors in rates for capesize, panamax, supramax and handysize vessels, rose by 37 points, or 0.8%, to 4,751. The capesize index rose 46 points, or 0.6%, to 7,275, breaking a losing streak of eight sessions.

10. US Coal Ship Departures Fall 17.9% On Week: CFlow

Weekly US coal ship departures dropped 17.9% from a week ago to 32 ships in the week ended Oct. 17, cFlow, Platts trade flow software showed Oct. 19. The ships were carrying a total 2.07 million dwt, down 22% from 2.66 million dwt in the previous week. Panama was set to receive the most US coal tonnage worldwide at 441,127 dwt, with 96.2% originating from the Gulf Coast and the remaining 3.8% coming from the Atlantic Coast.


Leave a reply

©2024 InterManager - Promoting Excellence In Ship Management

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?