1. First Nigerian Seafarer appointed as Captain of LNG Carrier at NYK Shipmanagement
On February 12, NYK Shipmanagement appointed seafarer, Tanko Olanrewaju Usman, as its first Nigerian captain of the liquefied natural gas carrier, LNG Ogun. The vessel is on a long-term time charter to Nigeria LNG Limited .
The development and advancement of Nigerian seafarers is a shared commitment by both NLNG and NYK in line with NLNG’s Nigerianisation journey. Captain Tanko Olanrewaju Usman has been a deck officer on board LNG carriers operated and managed by subsidiaries within the NYK Group since 2007. https://cyprusshippingnews.com/2023/02/22/first-nigerian-seafarer-appointed-as-captain-of-lng-carrier/
2. Furetank and Algoma Central Corporation extend joint venture through tanker acquisition with Larsson Shipping
– We are strengthening our collaboration with Algoma, with a high standard vessel of its generation. The addition of Fure Skagen will improve the services we can offer our customers and give us a well-timed overlap while waiting for the new Vinga series vessels to arrive from the shipyard in China in the coming years, says Lars Höglund, CEO of Furetank. https://cyprusshippingnews.com/2023/02/22/furetank-and-algoma-central-corporation-extend-joint-venture-through-tanker-acquisition-with-larsson-shipping/
3. India’s January crude imports hit 6-month-high on Russian inflows
India’s crude imports rose to a six-month-high in January, government data showed on Monday, as refiners in the world’s third-biggest oil importer and consumer snapped up cheaper Russian supply.
On a monthly basis, imports were up 1.7% to 19.96 million tonnes, which was also 3.5% higher versus January 2022, data from the website of the Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell (PPAC) showed.
4. Fugro Blue Essence receives approval from UK MCA to undertake fully remote surveys
Fugro’s Blue Essence®, a 12 m uncrewed surface vessel, has received approval from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency to operate the first USV with an electrical remotely operated vehicle in UK waters The MCA is the government body that regulates vessels in the UK ensuring they meet technical, safety and environmental requirements of the region. Fugro sees this as a breakthrough development as USVs play a vital role in the future of the maritime sector by improving safety, reducing carbon emissions, and delivering data more efficiently. https://cyprusshippingnews.com/2023/02/22/fugro-blue-essence-receives-approval-from-uk-mca-to-undertake-fylly-remote-surveys/
5. Isle of Man Ship Registry strikes new deal with Singapore ship owner
The Isle of Man Ship Registry is growing its fleet and extending its relationship with Singapore-based ship owner Peninsula International Shipping. The latest ship to join the register is the 12,113-tonne chemical tanker Peninsula XI. The vessel was formally delivered and registered to the IOMSR at a ceremony held at Hyundai Mipo Dockyard Co Ltd in South Korea. The Peninsula XI joins two sister tankers operated by the Singapore company under the IOMSR flag, the Peninsula IX and Peninsula X. https://cyprusshippingnews.com/2023/02/22/isle-of-man-ship-registry-strikes-new-deal-with-singapore-ship-owner/
6. Port of Montreal to invest $335m in port infrastructure
The Port of Montreal has earmarked more than C$335m in its new five-year investment plan for its infrastructure on the Island of Montreal. This investment is planned to achieve four main objectives. The port is looking to sustainably develop and maintain port infrastructure to accommodate trade growth; strengthen, optimise and streamline the Greater Montreal supply chain; accelerate the decarbonisation of port activities and the energy transition; and improve the city-port interface. https://splash247.com/port-of-montreal-to-invest-335m-in-port-infrastructure/
7. US Department of Energy to accelerate floating offshore wind deployment
The US Department of Energy (DOE) on Wednesday announced new investments in floating offshore wind development to advance offshore wind transmission planning, research and technology, and partnerships. With two-thirds of America’s offshore wind resource located in deep-water areas that require floating platforms, advances are urgently required to develop a robust domestic supply chain, reduce technology costs, and plan and build out needed transmission. https://splash247.com/us-department-of-energy-to-accelerate-floating-offshore-wind-deployment/
8. Biden Administration Proposes First-Ever Offshore Wind Lease Sale in Gulf of Mexico
The U.S. Department of the Interior has proposed the first-ever offshore wind lease sale in the Gulf of Mexico.
The proposed sale includes a 102,480-acre area offshore Lake Charles, Louisiana and two areas offshore Galveston, Texas, one comprising 102,480 acres and the other comprising 96,786 acres. Together, the areas has the potential to power almost 1.3 million homes with renewable energy. https://gcaptain.com/biden-administration-proposes-first-ever-offshore-wind-lease-sale-in-gulf-of-mexico/
9. Grounded Luxury Yacht Spills Diesel in Maui’s Honolua Bay
The U.S. Coast Guard is responding to a 94-foot luxury yacht that grounded off on reef on the north side of Honolua Bay in Maui on Monday. Eight boaters onboard the vessel were safely returned to shore by the Maui Fire Department. The Department of Land and Natural Resources is reporting that a sheen of diesel fuel was observed leaking from the boat’s hull on Tuesday. https://gcaptain.com/grounded-luxury-yacht-spills-diesel-in-mauis-honolua-bay/
10. Baltic index jumps to over 3-week high on higher vessel rates
The Baltic Exchange’s main sea freight index jumped to the highest in more than three weeks on Wednesday, as rates for all vessel segments rose, led by capesizes. The overall index, which factors in rates for capesize, panamax and supramax shipping vessels, was up 80 points, or 13.5%, at 674, on its best day in over a year. The capesize index rose 28.7%, the highest percentage gain in five months, or 87 points, to 390. https://www.shippingtribune.com/news/shipping/Baltic+index+jumps+to+over+3-week+high+on+higher+vessel+rates