InterManager Daily News 28.12.2019.

1. Container ship out of control, hit embankment, Istanbul

Container ship SONGA IRIDIUM reported to Bosphorus Traffic Control engine failure at 1200 LT (UTC +3) Dec 27, while transiting Bsphorus in southern direction en route from Ukraine, Black sea.

2. Cargo ship heavily listed by cargo shift, sheltered in Keelung, Taiwan

General cargo ship LI FUNG left Kaohsiung Taiwan early Dec 24 with cargo of sucrose, bound for Busan. The encountered problems, most probably weather related, since the beginning of the voyage. Early in the morning Dec 27 Taipei time Master of the ship contacted Taiwan MRCC and reported heavy starboard list, asking for shelter.

3. Master and a crew of Turkish freighter medevaced in unclear circumstances

General cargo ship KAZIM DEDE while en route from Alexandria to Aviles Spain in central Med south of Crete, reduced speed early in Dec 24, still maintaining her course. In the morning Dec 25 she changed course and headed to Crete, reporting to Greek authorities, according to Greek CG, that Master and one more crew are in need of medical assistance.

4. Turkish cargo ship aground on Ashdod beach, Israel

General cargo ship ZELEK STAR dragged anchor at Ashdod Anchorage, Israel, at night Dec 25, in strong wind, and drifted aground in the morning Dec 26, resting on beach near port breakwater. No information on damages, salvage. As of 1430 UTC Dec 26, she remained aground, but according to local sources and judging from photos, salvage suspended until weather improvement.

5. Bulk carrier grounded, refloated, Parana

Bulk carrier IKAN LEBAN on Dec 24 ran aground on 309 km mark, Parana river, upstream from Obligado, while sailing downstream with cargo of maize, loaded at San Lorenzo. The ship was refloated in the afternoon Dec 25 with tugs assistance, sailed downstream to San Pedro, and anchored there, understood for inspection.As of 1330 UTC Dec 26, she was still at anchor.

6. Start small to support seafarer mental health

Mental health is one of the most important advocacy issues of modern times. In the UK alone, research by the Mental Health Foundation reveals that one in six people suffer from a common mental health problem week-to-week. Meanwhile, nearly half of all adults say that they have had a diagnosable mental health condition at some point in their life.

7. Magseis Fairfield awarded two seismic projects in Gulf of Mexico

Norwegian offshore survey service provider Magseis Fairfield has been awarded two consecutive deepwater ocean bottom node (OBN) projects in the Gulf of Mexico. The surveys will be carried out in the Mississippi Canyon and Garden Banks areas and will cover a total area of more than 900 sq kms.

8. OSG takes full control of Alaska Tankers

Overseas Shipholding Group (OSG) has entered into agreements with BP Oil Shipping Company USA and BP AMI Leasing to purchase the crude oil carrier vessels operated by Alaska Tanker Company (ATC). OSG currently owns a 37.5% interest in ATC. As part of the deal, OSG will acquire the remaining 62.5% interest of ATC.

9. MSC Steers Clear Of French Ports To Avoid Nationwide Strikes

THE Mediterranean Shipping Co (MSC) has implemented contingency plans to re-route containerships away from French ports when necessary due to strikes in the country, Reuters reports. Two weeks of nationwide strikes in France have disrupted railways and roads, shut schools and brought more than half a million people onto the streets to protest against wide-ran

10. ICTSI Poland Hits Milestone 500K TEU Move

Baltic Container Terminal (BCT), the Polish unit of International Container Terminal Services, Inc. (ICTSI) at the Port of Gydnia, capped 2019 with a milestone after recently reaching its 500,000th twenty-foot equivalent unit (TEU) move on 21 December.

The event, which coincided with the 40th anniversary of the Gydnia terminal, was marked by the loading of the milestone MSC container to MSC Veronique.


Leave a reply

©2023 InterManager - Promoting Excellence In Ship Management

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?